I have a friend who contends that Tom Jones singing Sex Bomb is “creepy”. But hell, Jonesy is probably more her grandmother’s speed. And I mean no disrespect by that – the Welsh sensation is 68 this year.
Leave us not forget that he sang, Delilah, The Green Green Grass of Home, It’s Not Unusual and the theme to Thunderball long before he decided to cover the hits of a subsequent generation like Prince’s Kiss, EMF’s Unbelievable and Talking Heads‘ Burning Down The House.
I think there is practically nothing that wouldn’t sound better if Mr Jones sang it – and to that end I have prepared my wish list of 13 below:
01. Khe Sanh – Cold Chisel
02. How To Save A Life – The Fray
03. The Show – Lenka
04. Tubthumping – Chumbawamba
05. Well, Well, Said the Rocking Chair – Dean Friedman
06. Let Me Fix My Weave – Missy Elliot
07. No Air – Jordin Sparks/Chris Brown (Tom Jones/Dolly Parton duet)
08. Wake Up Jeff – The Wiggles
09. F**ken Awesome – Spiderbait
10. Teardrops – Womack & Womack
11. One – Metallica
12. London Still – The Waifs
13. Venus As A Boy – Bjork
And the reason there are no Grayson Hugh compositions listed? On this site? (Check out the comments sections newbies). Obviously we don’t think Tom Jones can do Grayson better than Grayson can.